10 Easy Ways to Save on Organic Flower Arrangements
From buying in bulk to re-using petals for a fairy tale send-off, the editors of Portovert.com have rounded up ten of their favorite ways to save on flowers (hint: these ideas are all eco-friendly, too!).
- Buy in Bulk: Ecuador's long days and cool nights yield some of the world's most perfect organic roses, but only Organic Bouquet ships carbon-neutral pesticide-free blooms from the region. The company's wholesale site makes bulk orders cost as little as ninety-eight cents a stem.
- Location, Location, Location: We've said it before and we'll say it again: buy locally! Packaging and transportation can significantly increase the cost of goods. Buying local, seasonal flowers can save you as much as 40%.
- Double Up: Repurposing flowers is thrifty and sustainable. Display your bridal bouquet purposefully in a thematic container to dress up your couple's table.
- Reuse: Want a spectacular send-off? Ask friends to pluck rose petals from table arrangements for the end-of evening toss.
- Less is More: Choose large, full flower heads, like the hydrangea, for centerpieces. Fewer large-headed flowers will produce the same wow effect of a dozen or more smaller blooms.
- Branch Out: Add an architectural element, like curly willow, which can be harvested from your backyard (and replenishes itself quickly!).
- Something Borrowed: An eclectic collection of containers can add warmth and romance to a space. Skip the rentals and borrow vases, pots or unusual containers from friends and family.
- Mix it Up: Exotic flowers are lovely, but you can achieve the same element of surprise by combining flora and fauna with other natural objects like fruits, vegetables, shells and nuts.
- Take Root: Well-spaced pots of manicured plants can add a special touch to a wedding, and can be found at your local garden nursery. They're inexpensive and make lovely favors for guests.
- Skip It: There is no one way to decorate a wedding. Flowers are beautiful, but there are other ways to bring color to your celebration.